Southwest Dermatology is dedicated to providing the highest level of Dermatological Services as well as being a resource for the most up to date information about the skin and how to care for it.
Here are some tips for the healt of your skin:
- Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. This is when the sun's rays are the strongest.
- Wear protective clothing. Cover your skin with tightly woven long-sleeved shirts, long pants and wide-brimmed hats. You may also opt for special sun-protective clothing which is designed to keep you cool and comfortable.
- Use sunscreen when you're in the sun. Apply generous amounts of broad spectrum sunscreen 30 minutes before going outdoors and reapply every two hours.
- Limit bath time. Hot water and long showers / baths remove oils from your skin. Limit your time and use warm water rather than hot.
- Avoid strong soaps. Strong soaps can strip oil from your skin. Instead, choose a mild cleanser.
- Remove all your make-up before bed to avoid enlarged and clogged pores.
The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends that everyone practice a monthly head-to-toe self examination of their skin. Here is a simple step-by-step guideline.
If you can spot it, you can stop it!